I have been making these breakfast bars a lot recently. They are packed with fruit, nuts and seeds and make a great mid morning snack. They’re handy to take to work for me and Kelly and Amelia likes them too which is a bonus!
- 125g unsalted butter
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 75g golden syrup with a little extra to drizzle over at the end
- 300g porridge oats
- 100g mixed dried fruit (I use raisins and cranberries)
- A large handful of chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
- A handful of mixed seeds (I use sunflower and pine nuts)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C/gas mark 3. Our oven is rubbish so I always put it between 3 and 4. Grease and line a 20cm square tin. I use a Pampered Chef square baker which doesn’t require greasing.
- In a pan add the butter, sugar and syrup and heat gently. Whilst this is melting add the oats, dried fruit, nuts and half the seeds to a bowl.
- When the mixture has fully melted pour into the bowl and mix well.
- Put the mixture into the tin and pat it down as much as you can. I use a silicone spatula.
- Drizzle over a little syrup and sprinkle some seeds on top.
- Cook in the oven for 40 minutes until golden. I have to leave mine for 50 minutes so keep checking until golden brown.
- This is the important part! Leave to cool completely before cutting into slices. If you don’t it will crumble.
Let me know if you give them a try!